Sometimes, a quilt comes together pretty quickly. This is one of those quilts. In September, Ninigret Quilters hosted June House for a monoprinting workshop. It was the first (and possibly only) time she has taken this on the road. She brought everything we needed for a successful day of fabric printing.
Some students left with plans to do more printing and dying. Others were just happy to have had the experience. We were all quite pleased with our work!
My plan from the start was to use Anita Grossman Solomon‘s pattern for Anita’s Arrowhead blocks. Anita visited Ninigret about 10 years ago and the whole guild fell in love with her technique to make that block. She’s a genius! I didn’t have any fabric to waste, so I was happy that my first few test blocks looked great. There was one very dark print that was too dark, so it was replaced.
I made 16 prints in class and had a few cleaning rags. Above, you can see the mottled prints in the corners that look tie dyed are the cleaning rags. I drafted the border in EQ8. To piece the border units, I alternated between my rags and a fat quarter that I purchased from June. I needed every last bit!
I’m not great at free motion quilting feathers, so I’m forcing myself to practice. For the border, I marked the curve and stitched the vein with a walking foot. Then I switched to free motion for the feathers. I borrowed a friend’s Sweet Sixteen sit-down long arm. I’ve got a long way to go before I’m completely comfortable with it. I do love how fast it stitches!
The perfect backing fabric came from a friend’s stash. I love my quilting friends!
Started in class September 14, 2021
Test blocks made October 30, 2021
Quilt completed November 19, 2021